My husband loves to work in his garage. He’s a metal worker, and somehow that means tons of stains. I don’t really understand where he gets all his goobery stains, but I know they are tough to clean! And, of course, having a toddler boy opens a whole new door of laundry challenges. Because I’m a frugal mom (read: cheap), I always try to find ways of making things that will work and save us money, which is why I use our own homemade knockoff Oxiclean recipe. You just might like it too, so I thought I would share one of my laundry secrets!
DIY Laundry Booster – Homemade Knockoff Oxiclean Recipe
Ingredients (keep these on your laundry room shelf with a scoop or measuring cup!):
– 1/4 cup washing soda (check the laundry aisle in the grocery store, we’ve seen more and more stores carrying this lately!)
– 1/4 cup baking soda (yep, the same stuff you bake with!)
– 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide (3%, the kind you keep in the first aid kit. You can buy a big bottle for $0.88 at Walmart!)
I’ve found this works best if you add it to the water before you add the clothes, but you can do it either way. When you’re ready to add it, pour the washing soda and the baking soda into the washer and then add the hydrogen peroxide. Voila! You’ve created your own laundry booster! It definitely helps get the grease and grime from my husband’s clothes, and even the stains off the clothes of my toddler.
And as an added bonus, you can make this into a spot treatment as well. If you’re not sure about color safety, you can always check it on an interior seam to make sure.
DIY Homemade Spot Treatment
To turn this recipe into a spot treatment, simply use a small container to mix the ingredients and brush it on to the stain. You may find it works best if you only use half the amount of peroxide, but that’s up to you. Of course you can also add just a little dab of detergent to increase the stain fighting power of your spot treatment.
Those are two of my laundry secrets that both clean our clothes and save us money. What are your laundry secrets? What are your laundry issues?
Latest posts by Joanna (see all)
- 14 Necessities to Prep Your Summer Car Emergency Kit - May 4, 2016
- Show Your Creative Side with Data and a Movie - March 21, 2016
- Purely Inspired Chocolate Protein Pancakes - January 15, 2016