One of my favorite parts of being involved with a support group for stay at home moms is being able to talk with the other moms. But I’m not always very good at it. Let me give you a bit of background. When I was a kid, I was a bit of a dork. When I went to high school, I went to a gifted and talented school. You could say I grew into my dork-dom. I’ve never been completely confident in my social skills, and I’ve been described more than once as a bit socially awkward. Yes, it’s true. I lack social graces – though not for lack of trying.
I find that now that I’m an adult I’m learning more quickly how to be a good friend and how to relate to others, so that helps. But I’m not always great at starting conversations. Especially when I really want to talk to someone. I have this way of psyching myself out so that the times I need conversation the most are also the times when I’m most awkward. I have some very forgiving friends who are able to overlook my awkwardness, but… I could do with some social grace.
So I’ve been working on saving some conversation starters to remember when I go to hang out. In fact, this idea was suggested to me by a very good friend who I never would’ve guessed would have a need for conversation help! I harbor this delusion that somewhere out there is someone just like me (maybe not a doppleganger, but you know, in personality and dork-dom) who might also be able to use these ideas. Or maybe it’s someone I wouldn’t have suspected could use the help, like my friend who suggested having a list to me. And so now I share with you!
21 Conversation Starters for Moms
- What did you do last weekend?
- Do you have any plans for next weekend?
- Are you hooked on any TV shows right now?
- What’s the last movie that you watched?
- What’s the last book that you read?
- What’s for dinner tonight?
- What have you done for fun lately?
- Do you have any favorite dinner recipes? We’re looking for something new to try.
- Do you have any potty training tips?
- Do you have any teething tips?
- Do you have a cleaning routine?
- Do you have any tips for organizing around the house?
- Do you know of any good sales going on?
- Do you have a bedtime routine with your kids? How do you do it?
- When was your last date night?
- Have you been the zoo lately?
- Do you have any ideas on how to better organize the toy room?
- Do you have any favorite family games?
- What’s your favorite season?
- Do you have any tips for back to school?
- What’s your favorite park?
- And because I love bonuses… What advice would you give to a new mom?
Do you have any conversation starts that you use when you meet up with other moms? Do you like and/or dislike any on my list?
Latest posts by Joanna (see all)
- Take Your Computer to the Next Level: Set Up Virtual Machines - July 25, 2016
- Mother’s Musings: What I Want for My Sons - June 14, 2016
- 14 Necessities to Prep Your Summer Car Emergency Kit - May 4, 2016