Disclosure: I am participating in the Verizon Health and Fitness Voices program and have been provided with a wireless device and six months of service in exchange for my honest opinions about the product.
So you remember that I am in the Verizon Health and Fitness Voices program, right? I know, after the whole craziness going on lately I haven’t been super talkative, but I’m recuperating. I am a very emotional person and there are times when hurting because other people hurt is not a convenient characteristic, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. At any rate, I thought I would wow and awe you with a post about the very best and very worst Android apps for health and fitness that I have been using on the Motorola Droid RAZR HD that I am testing out as part of the program. So without further ado…
The Best (in no particular order)
- MapMyRun – I absolutely love using MapMyRun and I even sprang for the VIP version so that way I can have help on routes. For someone who is geographically challenged (trust me, you don’t have to be around me long to figure that one out!), but who can read a map, having a tool like this makes running outside way more fun. Of course, I still manage to miss my turns on planned routes, but that’s mostly because I try to memorize the map and hello – my memory is not my finest point!
- Songza – Do you ever find preloaded apps on phones that you actually try AND like? For me, this was a first. Songza came preloaded on my phone and I was very intrigued by it. Actually, I was initially going to just delete it like other preinstalled apps, but I took a minute to check this one out first and I’m glad that I did! Songza has an awesome Concierge feature that helps you to choose a music playlist. Here’s what my Concierge screen says now –
So you just pick whatever you feel like, turn on your map and run!
- Sworkit – One of my fellow bloggers (Emily from Fit and Free with Emily) in the Verizon Health and Fitness Voices program mentioned this app when we were in the meeting in Chicago to receive our devices – and let me tell you, she was right. It is a total winner. Sworkit is this really neat app where you enter what kind of workout you want to do (strength training or yoga, cardio & more), and then you can pick a specific workout or my personal favorite – anything goes, and enter how much time you have for your workout. The app leads you through with instructions, a timer, and even has breaks scheduled for you to catch your breath. It’s awesome and a great way to fit a workout in whatever time you have available!
- MyFitnessPal – I’ve used MFP on the PC for a while, but being able to use it on my phone is even better! I can track my calories and exercises on the fly and since I already have my normal meals entered into it, I can do it quickly and without too many taps. I love how MyFitnessPal tracks water too because that is one area in which I am not always awesome – and it’s crazy because it’s just water! Totally not difficult to drink, ya know? So yeah, big fan of this one too.
The Worst (also in no particular order)
- Candy Crush Saga – if you have not already started playing this game, DON’T! I kept seeing (and hearing in person!) about this game and how my friends are playing it. I had started playing it a while back on my laptop and stopped because – hello, it’s candy and that’s like the opposite direction from where I want to be! But in the end, I gave up and started playing it again, which was easy because it’s a super cute app on my phone… which is where the trouble comes in. This game is totally addicting! Instead of spending 15 minutes trying to beat a level, I should totally be hanging out with my pal Sworkit!
- Pinterest – I love Pinterest. I may be a Pinterest addict. It’s amazing for spending a few minutes to find great ideas for DIY projects, crafts, food, recipes, activities with kids, home decor, gardening, workouts, hilarious quotes and pictures… is there anything you can’t find on Pinterest? But let me tell you what else it is – like Candy Crush Saga, Pinterest is also very addictive. Again, while I could spend 15 minutes pinning sweet gardening ideas and organization plans, my time would probably be better spent putting on my running shoes and getting my butt out the door!
- Ruby Blast – Another addictive games that my friends are playing. I just had to install it! These games help me to stay awake on days when my boys refused to sleep at the same time during the night, but on your average ordinary day they are time wasters that totally have a place – just not BEFORE workouts! I have a rule that I really need to follow more often to workout first and then goof off on my phone!
- Facebook – My husband makes fun of me for this one because I can be walking around the house, making dinner, and then I get sidetracked by Facebook and suddenly a burn dinner. Yes, this has happened this week. In fact, it happened today. Oops… But yes, Facebook is one of those that I should have parental locks on until after I’ve burned so many calories in a day!
Undecided – Best or Worst? You Decide!
- Hootsuite – I couldn’t quite decide if this should belong in the best list or the worst list. On one hand, I love that Twitter keeps me in the fitness loop and I have a great support system on Twitter thanks to the Mamavation girls who check up on me and make sure I’m still moving. However, it is just like how I use Facebook and I can totally waste time on it too!
While I highly recommend that you check out the apps listed under BEST, I can’t give you a recommendation one way or the other on the worst apps. I love them all, and I do think that there is a time and a place for them, but until I have my routines better laid out it’s probably best for me to steer clear of them until after my workouts. Having all this power and connectivity at my fingers is definitely thrilling and addicting, but it also makes me wonder about how I’m spending my time and if I wasn’t doing better at time management before I had the tech. I think this is a lesson I should probably learn early that way when it comes time to guide my children I have half a clue! I know they will be more exposed to technology than I was at their age, so I should prepare, right?
If you were expecting a list of which Android health and fitness apps to not install on your smartphone, I apologize for not addressing that in my worst list. When I come across an app that doesn’t do it for me, I usually just go ahead and delete and don’t take the time to remember what it was – after all, there are enough things bouncing around in my mind already! But I can say that if you try the ones on the best list, you probably won’t be too disappointed because they are awesome, unless that’s not what you’re looking for, and then you’re totally on your own until I come out with another list!
I’ve had several friends who have had really good luck with using Swagbucks to earn gift cards to Amazon, Paypal, and Walmart. I’ve blogged about them a time or two in the past, but I saw this promotion and just couldn’t -not- show it to you, dear reader. Basically, between today and 12/14, each day Swagbucks will draw a name, and that person will win a $100 gift cad of their choice. Every time you have a transaction in the Shop & Earn section of Swagbucks, you get an entry – easy as that! If you’re not already a member of Swagbucks, feel free to sign up here.
Here’s the official info about the promotion:
Swagbucks is working to make the holidays even more rewarding with their Swagbucks Holiday Hundreds Giveaway. Starting at 12pm Pacific Time on November 14th every transaction you make through the Swagbucks Shop & Earn will get you an entry to win the $100 Gift Card of your choice from the Swag Store! As soon as the Swag Bucks show up as pending in your ledger, your entry has been earned! The first drawing will take place on the 19th and will run every day through the 14th of December – if you’re the winner, Swagbucks will contact you at whatever email address you have on your account. Entries are cumulative, so the more transactions you make, the more entries you’ll get. Travel Category is excluded. Haven’t joined Swagbucks yet? Sign up today and enter the code HOLIDAY100s to start with 100 Swag Bucks of your own!
So there you go, I hope you sign up and win! If you do, I would love to hear about it and celebrate it with you, dear reader! 🙂
One of the sections (and ways to earn more) on Swagbucks that I’m going to be trying out more this time around is the coupon section – you can print coupons, and then when you use them at the store, you get Swagbucks in your account! Neat, huh?